Sunday, November 18, 2018

 

It's ok to suck at interviews. Learn from it.

I have been interviewed 6 (7?) times by Google. The last time I was getting on a bit in IT terms, at 39. When I first got to the office I could see many young nerds. I asked the interviewer how they felt about wrinklies like me - she said it'd be fine... Didn't get the job. I can guarantee it was nothing to do with age - I actually really did suck badly at the interview... And that was the 2nd set of interviews.

Now I pity all of those poor buggers I have interviewed in the past - it is soul destroying. You are never relaxed and can't show the real you, you panic, you fudge stuff and if you're like me you'll do anything to get the hell out of there. A simple negative comment is 100,00 times as powerful as a positive one.

Anyhow, here's the response I got from not passing the "phone interview" the first time:

Thanks Brad,

That's ok - I was lame in the interview.

To become "unlame" again - and to help others I did a bunch of
research and posted this post:

http://rileyperry.blogspot.com/2005/05/c-interview-questions.html

Please forward to Tom (the guy that did the phone interview), he might
recognise a few of the questions :). After all, we can't have people
at G! thinking that I am lame! Perish the thought.

Ta,
Riley

On 5/12/05, bstrader@google.com <bstrader@google.com> wrote:
> Hi Riley,
>
> We would like to thank you for your interest in Google, and thank you for taking the time to interview with us. After carefully reviewing your experience and qualifications along with notes from your technical phone screen, we have determined that we do not have a position available which is a strong match at this time.
>
> Thanks again for considering Google. We wish you well in your endeavors
> and hope you might consider us again in the future.
>
> Sincerely,
> Google Staffing



Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?